Monday, April 4, 2016

Its a been a week now of low and high intensity training and a thought came to my mind to write about injuries and the recovery process.

I had seen sports from all quarters as an athlete, coach, parent and mentor. The frequently asked questions or concerns among beginners who have started running is what happens if i am injured or am I over doing. My straight forward answer is you tend to get injured in any sports and the only way to avoid injuries is to train in an organized way.

Injuries are part of sport and when you are injured and getting recovered you realize the reason for the injury and at the same time cherish the moments you had trained.Coming back strong from injury requires a lot of patience and not overdoing when we recover.

In my own example after completing 5 half marathons in a span of 6 months with a personal best timing in the last 3 events I had a ligament tear in my knee. Its been 4 months i have not been running on hard surfaces. The injury was a concern but in the 4 months period i had an opportunity to train a group of runners for 10k and some of the runners did their first half marathon. The time with the team gave me immense satisfaction that i had trained a new set of runners.

I am back to my running now and i have created a 4  months plan for my half marathon. I am going through the process of change and I believe a steady recovery process will take your running further.

So be strong and cherish the moments of your training and achievements when you are going down. The moments will take you further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment